Sunday, August 8, 2010

Super Power Time

“If you could have any super power, what would it be?”
It's a good question if you have to do one of those group let's-get-to-know-everyone-real-fast things, though I don’t generally care to sit in a circle of strangers trying to sum myself up with abstract witticisms. Alright, I enjoy it a little bit, if the question is good and something witty comes to mind. In general the super power question is an entertaining one.

For years my answer has been a time machine. I wouldn’t go see Marie Antoinette or Aristotle. I don’t want to change the date or prance through the calendar. I want to stretch the calendar. I want a machine that manufactures time. More time, right here, right now, please.

Think of all the things that could be done. Ok, I might just watch vampire TV shows and read more paranormal romances but… there would still be plenty of time.

Lately I've been obsessing about needing more time. It's like my mind is on a treadmill. I dream of hikes I could take, the physical prowess I could achieve, and other things, instruments to play, wine to sip, sunrises to watch, the house being clean. I know that last part is a pipe dream. What can I say? I suffer from unlimited wants.

But greater physical prowess should be achievable. Just add exercise, right? Currently I take two dance classes a week. That’s good. I mean those three hours are good. Unfortunately the other 165 hours are spent sleeping, sitting and occasionally getting up to eat and go pee. This is not proper training for long hikes with a 30 pound pack.

It’s a problem I’m been mulling over for awhile. Back in January I joined a gym but out of solidarity with New Year’s resolution traditionalists I haven’t been since March. Really getting to the gym takes too much time.

Lucky for me, someone has invented the time machine of my dreams, the treadmill desk. It’s the wave of the future; it’s multi-tasking nouveau.

Unbelievable, isn’t it?

I know there are skeptics out there who will say walking one mile per hour while chatting on the phone, checking my email and typing this blog won’t be enough training either. To this is say two things. One, it’s a hell of a lot better than slouching at the computer while my butt falls asleep. Two, I can put rocks in my pack and wear it.

[I first heard about the treadmill desk on Alternative Radio. It has apparently gone mainstream enough to be on Good Morning America. I gakked the melting clocks (Salvador Dali's painting The Persistence of Time) from a blog called Berto: Philosophy Monkey. The treadmill desk photo came from the manufacturer. I also found a Treadmill Desk blog with do it yourself tips. And finally, the super power question came from volunteer training aboard the sloop Clearwater which does environmental action and education on the Hudson River. It's a good question. Thanks to whatever crew member brought it aboard in the annals of Clearwater history.]

4 comments:

  1. What a fun post! So when are you going to be outfitting yourself with a treadmill desk... or have you already? I'd sure get a lot of exercise if I walked the whole time I play online scrabble...Can you do the same thing with a stationary bike?

    Hmmm... what if I turned down the chance at having a super power? I'm not so sure I would want one... sometimes we have to be careful what we wish for.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I'd like to have the superpower of finding a parking space anytime, anywhere I needed one! How great would that be?
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saloma,
    The treadmill desk has been officially added to the project list as of this blog post. If I'm really lucky Santa will bring me a treadmill and then I'll build a desk attachment. The same thing can definitely be done with a stationary bike, but some bikes are sure to be better suited to it than others. Some of the commercial treadmill desks aren't attached and they look adjustable. That might even work, but I think I'd want the recumbent type bike. Let me know if you take that anywhere or come up with a super power wish, a wild and reckless one I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan,
    I like the way you're thinking.

    ReplyDelete